This guide will help those who are migrating from Intuit ProSeries to SmartVault.
When you open SmartVault and sign in to the desktop software for the first time, the Data Migration tool opens to help guide you through your migration to SmartVault from Intuit ProSeries. Check behind any other open windows on your desktop if you can't find the tool. You're given the option to set up a folder template to be used in SmartVault. You can use the default SmartVault folder template, or you can create your own folder template based on a folder structure you upload from Windows Explorer.
If you're a trialing account user...
Your imports from ProSeries are unlimited as long as you have less than 10 clients in your SmartVault account at a time. To enable more than 10 clients in your SmartVault account, you must purchase a SmartVault plan. You can purchase a SmartVault plan and the DMS Data Migration tool to avoid any limits. Since you aren't a DMS user, you will only need to purchase your SmartVault plan.
If you would rather skip this experience, click Cancel, and you can print a client's tax return directly to SmartVault from your tax application instead. Do not select Skip if you want to use this wizard at another time; instead, close the window.
The Data Migration Tool Will Open When You Sign In to SmartVault...
When you meet these conditions:
- you have less than 11 clients in your SmartVault account;
- you haven't selected Skip or completed the wizard yet;
- and you or a SmartVault Services employee hasn't manually altered your folder templates in the SmartVault folder.
If you don't meet all of these conditions, the Data Migration tool will no longer open. If you've already completed this wizard, you can still import additional clients from ProSeries by opening the Import Data tool from the SmartVault Launchpad or the Connected Desktop.
If you accidentally closed the wizard, see this article to reopen the Data Migration tool.
If the tool will not open for any reason and you meet all these conditions, contact support for help.
Remember: Before contacting support, minimize any other open windows, as the wizard might be hidden from view.
Start Your Migration with the Custom Folder Template Wizard
As previously mentioned, you can set up a custom folder template. Even if you decide to use SmartVault's default folder template, you can still complete this wizard to understand better how each folder is used in SmartVault.
If you want to accept the SmartVault default folders for your account and don't want to go through this wizard, select Skip, and you'll be taken directly to the Import Data tool to import your clients from ProSeries.
If you'd like to view the wizard's information but still use the SmartVault default folder template, select Start and then select SmartVault's folder template on the next screen.
Follow the wizard's instructions until you reach the Import Data tool.
Use Your Own Existing Folder Template
You can utilize your own folder template stored on your local file system or a network file system. However, your folder template must be consistent for every client you import from ProSeries. If you create a folder template this way, every client you import to SmartVault will utilize this template. If you often need a custom solution, you should consider contacting SmartVault Services for additional help setting up SmartVault just for you.
Import Your Clients from ProSeries
After saving your template or skipping the wizard, you're asked if you'd like to import your clients now. If you're ready, you can launch the Import Data tool. If not, you can always import data later by opening the Import Data tool from the SmartVault Launchpad or the Connected Desktop.
Remember, if you're using a trial account to evaluate SmartVault, you will have limits to your imports and client totals. Purchase a SmartVault plan and the DMS Data Migration tool to gain unlimited imports and clients.
- Select your most recent version of ProSeries, select your SmartVault account, and click Next.
- You might need to wait for ProSeries. You'll see this window open when ProSeries has finished.
- Select any number of clients or select all to choose the clients you import from ProSeries.
- Now, back in the Import Data tool, you'll select each client you want to import. You can select any number of clients. Hold CTRL and click each client to select multiple clients that are not continuous, or hold SHIFT and click from one client to another to select all clients in between.
- Click Import All to import every client in this list, or click Import Selected to only import those clients you've selected.
- As each client finishes importing, you'll see the client's status. The import process is tracked with a progress bar, and you can click Exit when finished.
Congratulations! You've migrated to SmartVault! After you exit the migration tool, the Connected Desktop opens automatically so you can see SmartVault in action. Check out additional information on Connected Desktop here.
If you need to import additional clients later, you can open the Import Data tool anytime from the SmartVault Launchpad or the Connected Desktop.