Enabling debug logging* within the SmartVault Browser Extension is a two-part operation:
Instructing the Browser Extension to produce debug logging
- Click on the browser toolbar SmartVault button.
- Select the "About" tab.
- Ctrl + click the line of text that includes "Browser Extension."
- Select the now available "Options" tab.
- Mark the checkbox for "Verbose Logging."
Capturing the log information
- Press the keyboard key combination Ctrl + Shift + J.
- Choose to view only logging of the "Message" level by clicking the "Messages" button (or "Errors," as applicable).
- Immediately before you are going to perform an action you wish to get logging information for, click the "Clear" button at the top of the logging window.
- Open the "Extensions" page within Chrome (menu button, Tools, Extensions, or Chrome://extensions in the address bar).
- Mark the checkbox for "Developer mode."
- For the SmartVault Browser Extension, click the "Inspect views." link for "background.html" (it will open a new window).
- In the new window, select the "Console" view from the top's icon.
- Immediately before performing an action, you wish to get logging information for, click the "Clear console log" button at the bottom of the window (circle with a slash through it).
*Production/pre-production Browser Extension for IE will not produce these logs; Firefox or Chrome is required.
New Logging Instructions for Chrome:
Here are some instructions for capturing logs files in Chrome for the SmartVault and Xero integration.
Instructing the Browser Extension to produce debug logging.
- Open a new tab for the online accounting system (QBO, Xero, FreshBooks) and login to a company.
- Right-click the SmartVault icon in the browser bar at the top.
- Select Options. (this should open a new tab.
- Place a checkmark to enable Verbose Logging.
- Open the "Extensions" page within Chrome (menu button, Tools,)
- Mark the checkbox for Developer mode.
- Click the Inspect View link for background Html (this will open a new window)
- In the new window, select the Console view from the icon at the top.
- Tab back to the company file.
- Go back to the Console view of the logger page and click the Clear Console Log (fourth icon at the bottom - circle with a line through it).
- Click through some supported transactions in the accounting system, such as those with attachments in SmartVault or a new transaction.
- You'll see the Console log window start to fill up. Once you clicked through a few entries, copy and paste the logs to a text file, attach it to this email, and reply.