This article will show you how to encrypt your data onto a flash drive or hard drive. The first thing you will want to do is download and install the 7-zip program. Click on either icon below that applies to your computer (32 bit or 64 bit):
How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?
Follow the instructions below:
- Right-click on the Start button and then left-click on System.
- Under Device Specifications, you can view the System type.
- Once you have successfully installed the 7-zip program, proceed to the following steps below.
Steps to Encrypt
- Right-click on the files or folder you wish to compress and encrypt.
- From the pop-up menu, select Add to archive...
- In the dialog window, note the name of the 7z file that will be created.
- Change the Archive format to 7z (It may be selected by default).
- Change the Encryption method to AES-256 (It may be selected by default).
- Enter and verify your password.
- Click OK.
Ensure you are making a note and copy of the password you entered when encrypting the hard drive or flash drive. The password cannot be retrieved if you lose it or misplace it.