After you share a folder with another user, they have access to all of the subfolders as well. To restrict access to subfolders, you must explicitly revoke access to each individual subfolder.
Before you Begin
- Though you can create folders using the steps below, if you are using SmartVault for tax accounting products, you have to create folders through folder templates. If you're trying to create a folder for a client, you can print a tax return from Lacerte or ProSeries to SmartVault, or add a client using the SmartVault Portal. To add a folder to all client folder structures, add the folder to your client's folder template. If you're setting up your SmartVault account for tax accounting for the first time, refer to the getting started guide.
- If you chose to edit access and notification settings when you created the folder, SmartVault creates the folder and then displays the Share & Manage Access dialog box. Review and edit access and notification settings and share a folder with other users as appropriate.
- Before you start creating many folders, review our Best Practices for Vault and Folders Structure.
- Only account administrators, tax employees, and vault managers can create folders.
Creating a Folder
To create a folder in the SmartVault Portal:
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal and go to View Files and Folders in the navigation panel.
- Navigate to the desired destination, and then click to create a new folder.
- Type a folder name, and then select Create Folder.
- After you create a folder, you can perform the following tasks: