Before Getting Started
The location of your Hubdoc Destination Folder can significantly impact your workflow within SmartVault, so consider how you are going to use the files pushed from Hubdoc before you select your Destination Folder. If you look at the screenshot in Step 4 below, you will notice that to the right of the Change link, Hubdoc gives you the ability to just push files or entire file and folder structures to SmartVault.
Sample Usage Case #1
If you are already using SmartVault's integration with FreshBooks, Reckon Accounts, QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online, or Xero, you can save yourself several steps by designating the existing Inbox for their company file as the Destination Folder.
That way, bills, receipts, bank statements, and more will be waiting for you in your client's Inbox whenever you are ready to create new entries. Here is what a possible file path to the Inbox folder of a QuickBooks company file might look like:
Clients/I-L/Larry's Landscaping/Applications/QuickBooks/Larry's Landscaping/Documents/Inbox
Note: Because of the non-mutable properties of the Inbox folder within a company file, you cannot create folders within it. If you push entire folder structures from Hubdoc to a SmartVault Inbox, the files within the folders will upload, but the folders will not. You can push the whole file and folder structures from Hubdoc to a standard folder in SmartVault, but not to any of the 'special' folders listed under "Documents" within an attached company file.
Sample Usage Case #2
If you are using SmartVault for long-term storage and do not plan to share the files with your end clients, then manually creating a vault or folder called Hubdoc and making it your Hubdoc Destination Folder might be sufficient for your needs.
Sample Usage Case #3
If you intend to use the files from Hubdoc for a specific client, you should designate a folder within that client's vault as the Destination Folder. The two file paths demonstrated in step 5 below would help you gather your client's files in folders where you already store their data to work on their payroll or income taxes, for example.
Changing the Upload/Destination Folder
1. Log in to your Hubdoc account.
2. Click on Accounts in the top right corner.
3. Click the Destinations tab.
4. Scroll down until you see the SmartVault logo and click Change next to the Destination Folder heading.
5. Enter the full path to the upload folder you would like to make the new Destination Folder.
Note: The names of the vaults/folders in the file path must be copied as they appear exactly in SmartVault, including spaces and special characters.
- If your SmartVault account does not have access to the SmartVault Dashboard and you were trying to select a folder within Sally's Salon called Upload to Accountant as your new Destination Folder, the file path would be:
- If your SmartVault account includes access to the SmartVault Dashboard and you were trying to select a subfolder within Lennox, Annie called Source Documents as your new Destination Folder; the file path would be:
That's it - you've successfully changed which folder Hubdoc uploads files to within SmartVault!