This article will teach you how to export DMS data and then import it to an external device, such as a flash drive or external hard drive. You should only use this article after speaking to a representative from SmartVault Support. It will not cover migrating data directly from DMS to SmartVault (find that information here).
The device can then be shipped to SmartVault to have your data imported to your SmartVault account. This can be useful for SmartVault users with lots of data (for instance, 500GB of client information). In these kinds of situations, importing data offline may be more practical.
Importing DMS Migration Data
Note: You should first contact SmartVault Support before you start this method of migration.
1. Click the SmartVault Launchpad icon on the desktop.
2. Click Import Data.
3. Select Intuit DMS, select your account. Then click Next.
4. Click Options.
5. Enable the Perform Offline Migration check box, click Browse and select a destination folder on your removable drive, and click Generate to create a safe password.
Note: Store the password securely as SmartVault support will need it to access your data.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Import All to import every client from your DMS database.
Note: Press CTRL and click each client to select multiple clients that are not continuous, or hold SHIFT and click from one client to another client to select all clients in between the two.
8. Click Import Selected to import only those clients you selected.
Once the export completes, safely eject the removable drive and confirm with SmarVault Support how to ship this drive to SmartVault. Typically you will FedEx this drive to SmartVault.
C/O Customer Care
720 N. Post Oak, Suite 300
Houston, TX 77024