SmartVault Auto-Filer enables efficient, automated printing of documents at specific SmartVault locations. You can print your clients' tax returns by applying selected criteria to route them.
Note for Thomson Reuters® UltraTax Users
If you're using UltraTax, the steps referred to in this article might not be the most efficient for printing tax documents. Please refer to our dedicated Getting Started with SmartRouting for the most relevant and detailed instructions.
The following video walks you through printing documents to SmartVault using the Auto-Filer tool.
Auto-Filing a Tax Return
To auto-file a tax return:
- Log in to the Connected Desktop.
- In your tax preparation software, open the tax return you want to auto-file.
- Go to File > Print, or follow the usual steps to print the file.
- Select SmartVault PDF Printer from the list of available printers and click Print.
- In the Upload File to SmartVault window, click Auto-Filer.
- Enter the criteria to route the tax return to SmartVault:
- Account - select the SmartVault account
- Client - select the client
- Engagement type - select "Tax Engagement" and enter the Tax Year
- Tag - select the appropriate document type
If you select Reuse previous selections, the next time you print a return, it will remember your last selection.
- Enter or edit the Name and Description if necessary.
- Click Upload.
- You can navigate to the SmartVault Connected Desktop to ensure your document has been auto-filed correctly.