Importing your client list into SmartVault is streamlined if you have the list exported from any supported applications into a CSV file.
SmartVault supports client list exports from:
Formatting a CSV File
To ensure that SmartVault imports all of your client data, follow these steps for formatting the CSV file:
Download the SmartVault CSV template. Make sure the CSV file includes the following required columns:
- Client ID (optional)
- Client Type (required)
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Company Name
- Home Phone
- Work Phone
- Fax Phone
- Other Phone Number (Cell).
- SmartVault ignores First, Middle, and Last Names for business Client Types, requiring only the Company Name.
- For individual Client Types, SmartVault ignores the Company Name.
- The Client ID is optional but recommended. If provided, it must be at least four characters long and unique. If a Client ID is not assigned during the import process, SmartVault will automatically generate a random one. Please note that once a Client ID is created, it cannot be modified. If you need to change the Client ID later, you must recreate the client profile in SmartVault.
- The Client Type is required, and only those types listed below are allowed:
- The First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name fields only apply to individual clients. They will be ignored for business clients. For married couples, you can add both first names in the First Name (e.g., John & Jane).
- The Email field is optional. You can only add one email address in this field. You can add additional email addresses after the client is imported into SmartVault.
- In the Company Name field, do not enter any periods; however, the "&" symbol is allowed.
- If an SSN or FEINS number starts with a zero, keep leading zeroes. This process must be redone if you close and reopen the document, as CSV files don't allow special formatting.
Importing the CSV File
- Open the SmartVault Launchpad and click Import Data.
- Select the source application.
- Click Browse, and then select the CSV file. Click Open.
- Select the SmartVault account you want to import to, and then click Next.
- When successful, the client list is displayed in the SmartVault account.
Trial customers can only import up to 10 clients.
- Click Import All to import every client in this list, or click Import Selected to import only those clients you've selected. A progress bar will appear showing the status of the import process.
- When finished, click Exit.