You may need to import client lists from various applications, including from a CSV file. You can use client lists from eFileCabinet, Outlook, or SmartVault.
Supported Client Exports
SmartVault's CSV import supports client exports from three applications:
- eFileCabinet - Learn how to export eFileCabinet profiles to a CSV file.
- Microsoft Outlook - Learn how to export Microsoft Outlook contacts to a CSV file.
Downloading and Using the SmartVault CSV Format
Click here to download the SmartVault CSV template.
The SmartVault CSV format requires the following columns: Client ID, Client Type, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Email, Company Name, Home Phone, Work Phone, Fax Phone, Other Phone Number (Cell).
- First, Middle, Last Names are ignored for business Client Types. Only the Company Name is required to import the client.
- Company Name is ignored when importing Individual Client Types.
- Client ID: Must be at least 4 numbers or characters long and cannot be repeated or already exist in SmartVault.
- Client Type: This field is required, and only those types listed below are allowed:
- First Name, Middle Name, Last Name: These fields are only for individual clients. Business clients do not use these fields, and they will be ignored.
For married couples, you can use the First Name column to list both first names (John & Jane), as shown in the image above.
- Email: This field is optional. Only one email address can be entered here. You can add additional email addresses if needed after the client has been imported into SmartVault.
- Company Name: This field should not contain any periods within the name, or it will not import. The "&" symbol is allowed.
If you are inputting SSNs or FEINS that start with a zero, keep leading zeroes. This process needs to be redone if you close and reopen the document as CSV files don't allow for special formatting.
Importing a CSV File
- Open the SmartVault Launchpad and click Import Data.
- Select the import source from which to import your clients.
For this example, we've selected CSV SmartVault Format.
- Click Browse and select the CSV file you would like to import clients from. Click Open.
- Select the SmartVault account you'd like to import to and click Next.
- The client list to be imported into your SmartVault account appears.
Trial customers can only import up to 10 clients.
- Click Import All to import every client in this list or click Import Selected to only import those clients you've selected.
- As each client finishes importing, you will see the status of the client. The import process is tracked with a progress bar.
- When finished, click Exit.