Using SmartVault in hosted environments (desktops provided by application service providers) is easy. Before getting started, review these items:
- Determine if you are in a shared or dedicated environment. (dedicated means only you may be the administrator of the machine)
- Determine if they offer a remote scanning capability.
- Ensure your QuickBooks company files are on the hosted desktop and working properly
- SmartVault Application Ask your service provider to install and enable the SmartVault application. If they have concerns or questions, have them contact email@example.com.
- Install the SmartVault application on your local desktop.
- Configure your SmartVault drive on your local machine and request one from your hosting service.
- If you've never used SmartVault before, add the company file to SmartVault.
- Scan your documents to the Inbox folder (or another folder you designate) in SmartVault.
- Attach the documents to QuickBooks entries when you're ready to process them.
Take a look at our blog posting to help you determine if hosting is right for you. To Host or Not to Host?...
Use the SmartVault Workflow to upload and attach your documents to the SmarttVault Toolbar in QuickBooks.
Scan and Attach directly to the SmartVault Toolbar if you have remote scanning available.
Scanning Some hosting providers these days offer scanning directly to the hosted desktop from your local computer. If so, ensure that you have the necessary tools installed locally. (check with the service provider) If not, use the SmartVault Inbox installed on your local machine to download the SmartVault Desktop software.
SmartVault Drive Some service providers do not provide the SmartVault Drive feature. That's ok. Install the on your local machine when you download the SmartVault Desktop software.