If your account has access to the Files View in Connected Desktop, you can see all of your available files and folders within the Connected Desktop. Previously, the Connected Desktop was used solely for working with tax client vaults and the files and folders within. However, with the Files View, you can now access any account, container, vault, folder, or file that you could previously only access through the SmartVault client portal.
Switching to and from the Files View in the Connected Desktop
1. Open the Connected Desktop.
2. Look in the lower left corner of the Connected Desktop window for the words "Clients" and "Files" (see Section 5 in the screen capture below).
3. Click on the name of the view you would like to switch to.
Files View Diagram
Though this diagram uses a typical tax account setup, the descriptions of the actions in the Connected Desktop can be used for any account with access to the Files View in the Connected Desktop.
Sections in the Files View
1. Folder Tree Pane - The Folder Tree pane serves to show you a visual representation of your files and folders in SmartVault. You can click each + icon to expand each parent account, container, or vault. When you click on each object, it's displayed in the Document View pane, which displays any folders or files stored in the object you've selected in the Folder Tree pane.
2. Document View Pane - Similar to the Document View pane in the Clients View section of the Connected Desktop, this pane lists all folders and files in the object you've selected in the Folder Tree pane. You can perform many actions on these files and folders, including opening and editing the files; renaming, copying or deleting folders and files; or sending a link to a file to another person for secure access to that file within SmartVault.
3. Document View Toolbar - The Document View toolbar displays the actions you can perform on a file or folder within the Document View pane. The Document View toolbar is contextual and changes which actions are selectable based on whether you are working with a file or a folder.
4. As you can see here, each account, container, or vault's name is displayed in the Document View pane so that you can tell what object you are currently working in.
5. If your account supports both Clients View and Files View, this section will appear and allow you to switch between the two separate views.