You can work with a client's folders and files in the Document View pane; specifically, you can view, edit, add, or delete a client's files or folders in the Document View pane. This is the main working space in Connected Desktop.
At the top of the pane, the Document View pane displays the client name for the client you click on in the Client View pane. Any files and folders stored in SmartVault appear in this pane. Any changes made to files or folders within the Document View pane are also made to the file stored in SmartVault. The Document View toolbar allows you to perform various actions to the files or folders you select.
From the Document View pane, files can be
- uploaded to folders in SmartVault by browsing or by drag/drop
- downloaded to your computer by browsing or by drag/drop
- created from a scan and uploaded directly to a folder
- opened, edited, and saved
- sent via email as links, not as attachments
- cut, copied, pasted, and deleted
Folders can be:
- uploaded to SmartVault by drag/drop
- downloaded to your computer by drag/drop
- cut, copied, pasted, and deleted
Right Click Menu for a File
When you right click on a file, a menu opens to display the actions you can perform on a file in Connected Desktop.
- Open causes a file to open using the default program you have set on your computer—some examples are Adobe Acrobat for PDF files, Microsoft Word for .docx or .doc files, and Microsoft Excel for .xlsx files.
- Edit appears only for PDF files and for image files (such as .jpeg or .png files). Edit opens the Scan Document window allowing you to make changes to a PDF or image file. For a full description of how to edit a document using the Scan Document window, see Editing PDF and Image Files in Connected Desktop.
Open with lists all of the options available on your computer that can be used to open a file. These options will vary depending on the programs you have installed and the file you are attempting to open. The image below displays an example Open with list for a PDF file.
Send To displays the available options used for moving a file to your computer or to a recipient. Any choices below the line are dependent on your computer and will vary based on the settings in your operating system.
Using some of these tools—such as Fax Recipient or Mail Recipient—uses an unencrypted file and attaches the file to a fax or email; these tools should never be used with confidential files.
Properties displays more details about a file.
Right Click Menu for a Folder
When you right click on a folder, a menu opens to display the actions you can perform on a folder in Connected Desktop.
New Folder creates a new folder inside the folder you right click on.
Upload opens a window to browse your computer for files to add to the folder you right click on.
Scan opens the Scan Document window, allowing you to add scanned documents or other document images to a folder.
Properties displays more details about a folder.
Right Click Menu—General Features
- Delete, Cut, Copy, and Paste all function in the same manner as when you use Windows Explorer. Use Cut when only moving a file to a new location and use Copy when creating an additional copy of a file in a new location. Paste becomes active when you have a file copied to your Clipboard after clicking Cut or Copy.
- Select all selects all folders to allow you to perform an action on all folders in a client vault.
Find allows you to search within a client vault for a file or folder.
Refresh updates your Document View pane to display any files or folders that have been added while you have been working in Connected Desktop. Pressing the F5 key will also refresh your Document View pane.