You may receive this error:
Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040408) could not start QuickBooks.
This error is typically caused by some or all of the following conditions:
- Vista User Account Control (UAC) is disabled.
- The logged-in user to the system belongs to the Admin group.
- The QuickBooks company file you are trying to open is in a Protected folder in a network environment.
Resolving This Error
For Windows Vista, complete the following steps:
- Ensure that Vista User Account Control (UAC) is enabled.
or more information about enabling UAC, see http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/disableuac.htm.
- Ensure that the user logged in to the system is not an administrator or member of the Admin group.
- Ensure the QuickBooks company file is in a public folder in a network environment or a private (Home) folder in a single-user environment.
For Windows XP, complete the following steps:
- Close QuickBooks and exit out of SmartVault.
- Browse to ProgramFiles > IntuitQuickBooks > VersionComponents > RegisteredUI.
- Rename the file UI_sdk_smartvault.SYS to OLD_UI_sdk_smartvault.SYS.
- Restart QuickBooks and sign in to SmartVault.