When you start QuickBooks, it is already running and starts instantly. When QuickBooks runs in the background, it's identified as a process (QBW32.exe) in the Windows task manager. If this causes unexpected computer problems, turn off the preference using the instructions below.
Turning off QuickBooks
There is a requirement for SmartVault to be notified when a QuickBooks application is started and a company file is open. Once we know this, SmartVault will begin communicating with it. If the QuickBooks process runs in the background without ever restarting, it will never notify SmartVault.
End the QuickBooks Processes Running in the Background
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Start Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and click the Image Name tab.
- Select the QuickBooks processes one by one and click End process.
- Make sure only QuickBooks processes are ended and then close the Task Manager.
- Exit out of SmartVault from the system tray.
Turn Off the Keep QuickBooks Running for Quick Startups Preference in QuickBooks 2011 or Later
- Open QuickBooks and open your company file.
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- Choose the General icon in the list on the left.
- Choose the My Preferences tab at the top.
- Click to clear the Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups checkbox.
- Click OK.
- Restart QuickBooks and enter your SmartVault logins.