When a client gets divorced, you will need to split the clients in ProSeries before importing or printing a tax return to SmartVault. You will need to do this to ensure files are being routed to the correct vault.
***This function is currently not working as intended.***
Splitting the Joint Return
- In ProSeries, identify the joint return that needs to be split.
In this example, we will be working with Doe, John, and Jane.
- Select the client and go to File > Split MFJ Return.
- Click OK.
- Choose two new client IDs. You will need to ensure another client is not using the client IDs.
- Click, OK. The joint return will remain untouched, and two new clients will be created.
- Import the new clients to SmartVault or print a new tax return for both new clients. Two new clients in SmartVault and the joint return will remain untouched in SmartVault.
- If two clients with different email addresses have access to the joint return, they will continue to have access.
- The two new clients will need to be invited using their email address to access their new split vault.
- If you renamed the joint return instead of using the "Split" function in ProSeries, a new client would not be created in SmartVault, and the files will continue to route to the joint return. To fix this, you will have to follow these instructions to prevent that tax return from going into the joint return.