SmartVault recommends GoodSync (www.goodsync.com) for synchronizing documents between your local hard drive and SmartVault account folders.
GoodSync can synchronize documents stored in folders on your local hard drive with vaults and folders in SmartVault using the SmartVault Drive. GoodSync has a free version and a relatively inexpensive GoodSync Pro version.
Before you begin using GoodSync to synchronize data on your local computer with SmartVault, review the following items:
- To use GoodSync, you must be able to map a SmartVault Drive. Only SmartVault users with user or client licenses can use the SmartVault Drive. Users with guest licenses cannot map a SmartVault Drive, and therefore can not use GoodSync to synchronize documents on their local computer with SmartVault.
- Before synchronizing, first, create the parent vault or folder in SmartVault where you want to synchronize your data. For example, if you're going to sync everything under the My Documents folder on your local computer to SmartVault, first create the vault or folder in SmartVault where you want all of the folders and subfolders within SmartVault to be copied. For more information about creating vaults and folders in SmartVault, see Creating Vaultsand Creating Folders.
- Never try to synchronize the whole C:\ drive on your local computer with SmartVault. The C:\ drive on your local computer typically contains your applications and Windows operating system files. Application files and Windows operating system files do not allow anything to be written to them. If you try and synchronize these types of files, you may see several "Access Denied" messages during the Analysis phase of the synchronization.
- Start small. Do a few tests with a couple of test folders that contain a small number of subfolders and files. Once you verify that synchronization is working the way you want to, you can move on to synchronizing more significant amounts of files and folders.
- If you want to synchronize a folder and its subfolders, select the parent folder in the left window of the GoodSync browser. After you click Analyze, GoodSync will list all of the folders within the hierarchy and allow you to choose the folder you want to synchronize with SmartVault.
- If you have already mapped a SmartVault Drive, you can use the Windows Local option in the Right Folder section. For more information about mapping SmartVault Drives, see Understanding and Mapping SmartVault Drives.
- Before you begin synchronizing, identify the files and folders you want to sync with your SmartVault account on your local hard drive and note the location of this folder on your local hard drive.
- Download and install GoodSync on your local computer. GoodSync is available at www.goodsync.com. GoodSync provides a free version of GoodSync, and you can download and install GoodSync in just a few clicks.
- Map a SmartVault Drive on your machine.
When GoodSync displays the New GoodSync Job window immediately after GoodSync installation completes, complete the following steps:
- Enter the Job Name field, type a name for your first synchronization job.
- Click Synchronize.
- Click OK.
- Click the first Browse button on the left side of the GoodSync window.
- In the left pane, click Windows Local and then browse to and select the folder you want to synchronize with SmartVault.
- Click the second Browse button on the right side of the GoodSync window.
- In the left pane, click WebDAV.
- Select Windows Local in the left pane and then browse to your SmartVault Drive.
- In the address field before the Go button, type https://docs.smartvault.com.
- Type your SmartVault user name (email address) and password in the appropriate fields.
- Select the Secure Mode (encrypted) checkbox, and then click Go.
- Browse to the vault or folder in SmartVault where you want to synchronize the data, and then click OK.
If you select your SmartVault account name, a new vault will be created for the folder you synchronize.
If you wish to synchronize to a specific vault or folder, browse the vault or folder you want to synchronize.
- Click Analyze in GoodSync. GoodSync lists all of the folders in the path you have selected in the left window.
- If you want to synchronize every file and subfolder in the folder, click Sync.
- If you want to synchronize only one subfolder in the folder, right-click on the folder you want to sync, select Include only FolderNamefolder, and click Sync.
GoodSync synchronizes the files and folders between your local computer and SmartVault.
- Use the SmartVault Drive or the SmartVault Portal to verify that the folders on your local drive were successfully synchronized to the specified location in SmartVault.
During the synchronization, GoodSync also creates a _gsdata_ folder and stores logging information as well as a couple of other small files used during the synchronization in this folder.
For more information about GoodSync, including how to enable automatic settings, which allow you to automatically synchronize your files according to your preferred schedule and parameters, see the following resources: