Enabling Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) adds several layers of security to your SmartVault account. It requires you to log in using not only your email address and password but also a one-time verification code that helps verify your identity whenever you are logging in from a new web browser or an unrecognized device.
The Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Settings page allows each SmartVault user to enable 2FA on their account and choose how to receive their verification code: via email, SMS/text message, or automated phone call.
Before Getting Started
If you use the SmartVault for Windows software (including the Connected Desktop, Toolbar, Inbox, Web Drive, etc.), we recommend updating to the latest version before enabling 2FA. By default, verification codes are sent to each user's email address.
Setting Up Two-Factor Authentication
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Click on your initials on the top right.
- Click Settings.
- Under User Settings, click Two-Factor Authentication Settings.
- Checkmark Enable 2FA.
From the 2FA Method menu, select an option of your choice:
- Email: Sends you an email with the verification code.
- Text/SMS: Sends you a text message to your mobile phone number.
- Phone Call: Calls the number listed and verbally gives you the verification number.
- Click Save Changes.
How Two-Factor Authentication Works
- If you sign in to the SmartVault Portal from an unrecognized device or web browser, SmartVault will send you a verification code through your method of choice to verify your identity.
- The email address you use to log in to SmartVault is the default verification method for all accounts. Every SmartVault User or Guest license can change their preferred verification method to email, text/SMS, or automated call.
- 2FA does not affect logging into the SmartVault for Windows Desktop Client (WDC).
- 2FA does not affect logging into the SmartVault Web Drive or mapping SmartVault as a mapped network drive on Windows or macOS.
- Verification codes are valid for 10 minutes. The same code will be sent if you click Resend Code within 10 minutes.
- If you requested your verification code via email and do not see it, check your Junk Mail folder and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Safe Senders list.
- If the phone number on your account cannot be verified, the system will default back to email as your preferred 2FA Method.