SmartVault recommends that you back up any company file to make changes to at least once a day.
If you want to be even safer, you can configure SmartVault to automatically back up your company file each time you close the company file.
The time required to back up a company file depends on the company file's total size, the speed and bandwidth of your Internet connection, and the current load on SmartVault servers in the SmartVault data center at that time. Backup times can vary from about one minute to several minutes or more based on these factors.
Before Backing Up
Before you back up a company file:
- Verify the file is not currently open or being used by another user.
- Verify the file has been added to SmartVault.
- Verify that you have permission to back up the company file. To back up the company file, you must have the following permissions:
- If the QuickBooks company file was shared with you using the Manage Group Members option, you must be a member of the Vault Managers group or the Full Access group for the vault.
- If the QuickBooks company file was shared with you using the Share & Manage Access option, you must have Full Access.
Backing Up QuickBooks or Reckon Accounts Company Files
- Install the SmartVault Desktop software.
Note: For more information, see Installing the SmartVault Desktop Software.
- Verify that you are signed in to SmartVault from the Desktop software by completing the following steps:
- From the Start menu, click Start > Programs > SmartVault > SmartVault Launchpad.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link displays, you are not signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software. Click Sign in to your SmartVault account, enter the email address and password, and then click Sign In.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link does not display, you are already signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software.
- On the SmartVault Launchpad, click Back Up QuickBooks data.
- Select each vault that you want to back up.
- If you're going to keep the backup in SmartVault forever, enable the Keep forever checkbox.
By default, SmartVault conserves disk space by deleting old backup files to make room for new backup files. However, if you want to keep a backup copy of a company file forever, enable this checkbox. SmartVault will not delete any backup files marked Keep forever until you manually choose to go back and remove them.
- If you want to specify a unique name for the backup file, enter a name in the Backup Name field.
By default, SmartVault uses the following syntax to name company file backups:
Backup Year_Month_Day, where Year is the current year, Month is today's month, and Day is today’s date. However, you can specify a unique name for the QuickBooks company file backup, such as 2019 Year-End Backup.
- Click Backup. SmartVault displays a status bar showing you that each selected company file is being backed up. When the backup completes, the Backup window automatically closes.