The following video walks you through importing new clients via a CSV file (UK).
Supported Client Exports
SmartVault's CSV import currently supports client exports from three applications:
- eFileCabinet - Learn how to export eFileCabinet profiles to a CSV file
- Microsoft Outlook - Learn how to export Microsoft Outlook contacts to a CSV file
- SmartVault - Import from a CSV file
Downloading and Using the SmartVault CSV Format
Click here to download a CSV template.
The current SmartVault CSV format requires the following columns: Client ID, Client Type, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Email, Company Name, Home Phone, Work Phone, Fax Phone, Other Phone Number (Mobile).
- Client Type: This field is required and only those types listed below are allowed please note there is no space for the Client Types:
First, Middle, Last Names: These fields are only for individual clients. Business clients do not use these fields and they will be ignored.
For married couples, you can use the First Name column to list both first names (John & Jane) as shown in the image above.
- Email: This field is optional. Only one email address can be entered here. You can add additional email addresses if needed after the client has been imported.
- Company Name: This field should not contain any full stops within the name or it will not import. The "&" symbol is allowed.
If you are going to be inputting SSNs or FEINS that start with a zero, keep leading zeroes. This process needs to be redone if you close and reopen the document as CSV files don't allow for special formatting.
Importing a CSV File
- Open the SmartVault Launchpad and click Import Data.
- Select the import source to import your clients from.
For this example, we've selected CSV SmartVault format.
- Click Browse and select the CSV file you would like to import clients from. Click Open.
- Select the SmartVault account you'd like to import to and click Next. A client list to be imported into your SmartVault account appears.
Trial customers can only import up to 10 clients.
- Click Import All to import every client in this list or click Import Selected to only import those clients you've selected.
- As each client finishes importing, you'll see a status for the client. The import process is tracked with a progress bar, and when finished, you can click Exit.
If you have issues importing your client list, the column headings may be different from what SmartVault expects.
- The column headings should include: Client ID, Client Type, First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Email, Company Name, Home Phone, Work Phone, Fax Phone, Other Phone Number (Mobile)
- There are First Name, Middle Name or Last Name entries for Businesses (Limited Company, Sole Trader, Partnership, etc.). These fields must be empty for businesses. Only the company name is used. Similarly, for Individuals there should be no Company Name entry in the spreadsheet; that field must be empty for individuals.
- The file is saved as a .csv file. There are a couple of options for .csv as noted in the image below.