You can easily edit a document in the SmartVault Portal by downloading a copy, making the edits, and then uploading the revised document back to the Portal.
To edit a document in the SmartVault Portal:
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Navigate to the vault or folder containing the document you want to edit.
- Click on the document to open it.
- On the preview page, click Download.
- Depending on your web browser, the downloaded file will either automatically appear in your Downloads folder or a menu will prompt you to choose a location to save the file. If you don't see the file automatically, look for it in your Downloads folder or the location where you saved it.
- Open the downloaded file, make the necessary edits, and save it.
- In the SmartVault Portal, navigate to the vault or folder where you want to keep your revised document.
- Click Upload File, then drag and drop the edited copy into the upload box.
- Click Save.
Renaming Files Downloaded Multiple Times
When you download a file multiple times, your computer automatically gives it a new name to prevent duplicates. For instance, if you download a file named "Time Off Request and Policy.docx" twice, it will be renamed as "Time Off Request and Policy (1).docx". However, if the file name changes for any reason, it won't replace the existing file in SmartVault when you upload it. Instead, SmartVault will save the file with the new name.
To avoid having multiple copies of the same document, we recommend renaming the file to its original name before uploading it to SmartVault.