You send emails to your clients such as when inviting them to view files and folders in SmartVault or to activate their SmartVault account. You can customize these email templates, such as the subject and body of the email.
Customizing Email Templates
To customize email templates:
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Click your Initials in the upper right and select Settings.
- In the Account Settings section, click Email Templates.
- Select the email template you want to edit.
- Make any necessary changes, and then click the Save changes icon.
Understanding the Email Template Options
For this example, we will use the User Activation email template, which is used when an employee or guest needs to activate their account. Options will differ based on the template you select.
- Save changes - Click the Save changes icon when you've completed all edits to the template.
- Revert to default - If you make editing mistakes, you can click the Revert to default icon to undo all changes to the template.
This removes ALL changes you have ever made to the template and changes the template to the original default template provided by SmartVault. We suggest you keep a .txt file saved on your computer to store your email template when you are making changes to your template.
- Cancel - Click the Cancel icon to cancel any unsaved changes to the template.
- Email subject - This line populates the email subject and uses SmartVault placeholders. %FROMNAME% is the placeholder that adds the user's name. %SUBJECTTEXT% contains what you are sharing with the user such as a vault or an account.
The editor bar operates much like any editor bar in a word processing software. You can use the editor bar to change the formatting of the text in the email.
Common formatting tools to change your text to bold, italic, underline, or strikethrough, respectively.
These change your text to subscript and superscript, respectively. Use these to add endings to dates, such as February 25th.
Use these to align text to the left, center, right, or justified, respectively.
Use these to select a font, font size, font color, or remove all formatting to some text, respectively.
When working with SmartVault placeholders, you must highlight the full placeholder (including % signs) to apply the formatting.
Use these to add a bulleted list, numbered list, table, quote, or a horizontal rule, respectively.
Use these to dd a hyperlink or clickable email address.
You can insert a URL link or email address by placing your cursor within the template where you want to place the link and clicking the Insert an email icon or Insert a link icon and entering the email address or URL. For links, you can also enter a description which becomes the blue clickable link. If you leave the description blank, the URL is the link.
Use this icon to view the source HTML of the email for further customization.
SmartVault also has default placeholders available that can be used to link to SmartVault locations and tools.
The email body contains the main text of in the email, and contains the following placeholders:
%BEGINITEM% and %ENDITEM% - Used to wrap content and create a new line.
%FROMNAME% - Adds the user's name.
%TEXT% - Contains a contextual message about what you are sharing with the user. For example, when sharing a vault, the message stored in %TEXT% is "the vault 'Byrne, David' with you." where "Byrne, David" is the vault name.
%MESSAGE% - Only used when this template is generated from the Send Link tool.
%TEXT2% - Another contextual message about what you are sharing with the user. For example, when sharing a vault, the message stored in %TEXT2% is " the vault 'Byrne, David'." where "Byrne, David" is the vault name.
%URL% - The link to the shared vault or folder you are sharing with the user. When sharing this with a client, this is a link to the client's vault.