Many things can cause Internet-connected devices to be poor more slowly than users prefer or may be used to previously. Most of these issues are related to settings, outstanding Windows issues, bandwidth, and network connectivity.
The most common cause of a slow mapped drive is a settings issue in Windows Internet Options.
Resolving This Error
To make sure your SmartVault Drive is correctly configured:
- Right-click the SmartVault tray icon in the system tray and select Disconnect Drive.
- Open the SmartVault Launchpad.
- Click SmartVault Updates in the SmartVault User Settings section to ensure you are on the newest version of SmartVault.
- From the Launchpad, click Map SmartVault Drive under SmartVault Drive. The following window appears.
- If your settings are correct, you will be prompted for your email address and password. If your settings are not correct, you will get a red X and an option to correct your settings, as discussed in the Using the Mapped Drive Diagnostic Tool topic.
Disabling the Automatically Detect Settings Option in Internet Explorer
Sometimes Windows updates will change the optimal settings necessary for the SmartVault Drive performance, and you may experience slow browsing in the SmartVault Drive.
To fix this issue, ensure that the Automatically detect settings option for Local Area Network (LAN) Settings in Internet Explorer is disabled.
Even if you use a browser other than Internet Explorer, such as Mozilla Firefox, disabling the Automatically detect settings option for Local Area Network (LAN) Settings in Internet Explorer will improve the performance of the SmartVault Drive.
To disable the Automatically detect settings option in Internet Explorer:
- Close all open Internet Explorer browser windows and Windows Explorer windows.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- From the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
- Disable the Automatically detect settings checkbox.
- Click OK, and then click OK again to close the Internet Options window.
Other issues may be causing your poor performance. Test your Internet connectivity to ensure you have a standard working Internet connection. You may want to contact your ISP for assistance.
If issues appear to be relegated to only the SmartVault Drive, and the steps above do not assist, contact SmartVault Support for additional troubleshooting options.