After an import job, such as a DMS migration or importing your clients from Lacerte or ProSeries, you might have duplicate clients.
Earlier versions of the DMS migration would create duplicate clients if you used the copy client feature in Lacerte or ProSeries. While this issue has been resolved, if your account contains many duplicate clients, you can contact support to request an automated resolution to this issue. This automated procedure will merge clients if their names or tax identification numbers (TINs) match.
Under certain conditions, a DMS migration can still create duplicate clients. For example, if a client’s TIN does not match between DMS and Lacerte or ProSeries, this client will be duplicated when imported to SmartVault.
The merge feature is also useful when you create a client in SmartVault before creating the client in Lacerte or ProSeries—often to collect source documents in SmartVault before completing tax work for a new client.
If you attempt the merge feature and it does not work, refer to the Considerations towards this page's bottom.
Merging Duplicate Clients
- Open the Connected Desktop.
- Navigate to the client and click on the first client.
- Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then click on the second account to highlight both clients.
- Right-click on the blue highlighted client name to select Merge clients.
- You will see the option next to select which account to merge into. Click the one that contains the Client ID or the last 4 of the social security number.
- After you make your selection, you will be warned that the changes cannot be undone. Click OK to proceed.
- Now, the merge should complete, and the Connected Desktop will automatically list the one client.
The merge feature is a complicated task in the background process because there are quite a few variables that may conflict when merging a client in SmartVault regardless if all the information matches correctly. Therefore, the merge feature may not always work.
In these cases, the best solution to resolve this is to export the existing client's data. If you already have the data saved or backed up, you can delete the client. Then re-import the client using LaCerte or ProSeries or the CSV Import. Here are some helpful articles below to show you how to do the following steps:
- Export the client's data. Click on this article for a how-to: Export Data from Connected Desktop
- Delete the client from the Connected Desktop. Click on this article for a how-to: Delete a Client
- Choose one of the following methods below: